Journal Day 4 October 21, 2007
Today has seemed like two days rolled into one. This morning I awoke at 3:00 AM. When someone dies here, they have a wake where they bring in a huge sound system and party all night long. I do mean all night long. It is their way of celebrating the person’s life. They crank up the volume. Last night there were two different wakes close to the house I am staying at. I think it was the combination of roosters, cats fighting, the music, and a group of guys walking down the street blowing whistles the roused me. Wow, weekends in Winneba are a party. Tonight is completely different. It is quiet. They say that Sunday through Thursday nights are pretty calm. I think I will sleep uninterrupted tonight.
I went to the
There were three bishops at the service and 15 pastors. They were celebrating a lay member who was retiring from his position as director of the regions of the diocese. They asked me to offer the prayer for him and his wife. That caught me off guard. The were talking in Fanti and then I heard my name and everyone turned and looked at me. The dear lady next to me told me to get up and go pray for them. I hope the prayer was good because I don’t remember a thing I said. The combination of lack of sleep, 100+ degrees, slacks, shirt and tie, no breakfast, and four hours at church almost created the perfect example of a chiropractor impacting the ground from 6’ 2”. I never knew the world could spin the way it did as I was walking back to my seat. Anyway, I made it back with out any outward signs of distress-at least that is what I was told.
This afternoon I had the opportunity to care for many people who have serious conditions: paralysis, polio deformities, cerebral palsy, and blindness. One man I met while on a walk yesterday came and got adjusted today. He has been abandoned by his wife and kids and is now a beggar on the streets. He can hardly walk. I took him 6 hours to walk to the house which is only 5 blocks from the sea. When he left after his first adjustment, he was walking much faster than before. Of course, anything would be an improvement for him.
Another young man I met yesterday on my walk was born with a deformity in his pelvis and legs. He has never been able to walk. His legs have always been bent at a 90 degree angle. He was given two crutches a year ago and he is now able to move around as he drags his legs. When I finished working on him today, he went from a 90 degree bend to a 15 degree bend. That is incredible. He has also been unable to see any distance. His vision was limited to objects right in front of him. Afterwards, he was able to see as far as wanted.
The most heart-breaking story was a little girl 4 years old. When she was 2 ½ she became ill and went to the hospital. They did something to her and since that time she has not been able to stand or walk. I think she had meningitis and they treated her for something else. They told the parents that she has Cerebral Palsy. She doesn’t. She was crying the whole time she was with me from the pain in her pelvis and legs. I adjusted her atlas and she relaxed. I waited a few minutes and checked her pelvis. What a mess. I will see her everyday I am here. This little girl has got to walk again.
So today I saw 30-40 patients. Tomorrow, I will see a
Now it is time for some shuteye. I am so moved by the people’s smiles and openness to me being here. I will do my best to serve them and help as I can.
No comments:
Post a Comment