Dateline: Somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean 2:00 AM
I have nodded off a few times since 9:00 PM GT (Ghana Time), but no going into a deep sleep. I want to, but my mind is not letting me take that voyage into La La Land. My mind keeps thinking about what the next two weeks hold. What will happen? How will I “fit” into the culture.? Will I be a bumbling American stepping on local customs or will I be able to take a step back and let time and observation take over and give me wisdom in my actions. My coach, Alan Rousso, continually tells me that I can say I am doing what ever I want, but it is my actions or fruit that tell the truth of what I am doing. Behavior never lies. This keeps banging around in my head. What do my daily behaviors tell others. I am reminded of a mother who has been a patient for quite some time who brought in her two boys. She had a bad experience at the office one day because I said one thing and then did something different. Where are the contradictions in my life? I am sure this time away will force me to think outside the box and discover more about me than I ever knew. At least more than I have previously been willing to admit!
Something that stood out at the gate at JFK while I was waiting to get on the plane. The Ghanaians were dressed so nice. Beautiful colors that had so much personality. There was lots of gold jewelry that was used as an accent to create flair. All I can say is that the attire was joyful. Fully expressing life. I then considered my dress, khaki pants with a dark blue polo shirt, and gray hiking shoes. I can tell I choose comfort over style. I will see if I can’t spice up my wardrobe while I am in
Nana, my friend who is a native Ghanaian in C’ville, told me that it will take me 30 minutes to walk down a block because everyone will want to talk to me and hear my story for that day or share their story. Community. I look forward to that level of connection to “strangers.” I don’t like the word strangers. I guess I don’t see people that way. We all share the same air, water, Earth, and needs. The way I see it we all are looking for some connection with each other and God. Sorry my secular humanist friends, I must disagree that there is no God. Music, joy, love, connection, sadness, a smile tell me there is something more.
Going to
I will try and post some comments tonight before I go to bed. I love all of you and thank you for your support. You are all in my prayers and thoughts. Good night (morning?).
No comments:
Post a Comment